MMA Warlike
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything MMA and more!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Be honest... is Fedor as good as you thought?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Be honest... is Fedor as good as you thought? Empty
PostSubject: Be honest... is Fedor as good as you thought?   Be honest... is Fedor as good as you thought? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Did you expect him to be losing to guys at the bottom of the top 10 at the age of 33 and 34?

I didn't.

I thought he at least had the skill and ability to be blowing guys like Werdum and Bigfoot out until he was at least at Anderson Silvas age. I'm not saying he's not good, but if he was as good as everyone thought, even maybe losing half a step he'd still be way ahead of mediocre HWs.

But if you really think about it, Bigfoot is the first large well rounded fighter Fedor faced. Think about that for a minute.

What we found out in those fights was that Fedor makes a lot of technical mistakes in his boxing, his groundgame and his TD also looked pretty weak against Bigfoot who is not a real wrestler. We've seen glimpses of his shortcomings his entire career but now other fighters are good enough to take advantage of them.

I think with Fedor it's more a case of all the division surpassing him than anything else. Even if you look at his top wins, they were decision wins against guys who couldn't hack it in modern MMA.

So basically Fedor, nor anyone he has ever defeated has ever done anything against todays Top HWs other than get destroyed, and if Fedor wants keep appearances and pick a Top 10 HW to fight today he's going to lose because they're better than him

I think the biggest problem is that a lot of people bet on the wrong horse and just can't admit they're wrong at this point.

The greatest in their sports have always remained a step ahead of the competition even when they may have lost a step themselves.

At 33 Ali was on an 8 fight winning streak and had just TKOed Joe Frazier

At nearly 36 Anderson Silva KO'ed Vitor Belfort with a front kick retaining his title and registering a record 13 straight wins in the UFC

At 33 Micheal Jordan won the scoring title and came back after a layoff giving the Bulls their 4th championship. He won the title again the following year.

At 40 Dan Henderson, a guy who can't even make the 205 limit, won the LHW HW after a KO destruction of the champion while M1 and Fedor currently make provisions to look for the most advantageous scenario to face him as possible, which is pretty poor form if you ask me.

in the 1993-94 season Gretzky was 33 years old and was #1 in the league with 130 pts.

So many greats in sports history having great success and some even peaking in their 30's……Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordon, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Elway, Brett Farve, Nolan Ryan, Mariano Rivera, Ted Williams, Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Dominic Hasek, Tony Esposito, Gerry Cheevers and on and on and on……

and all of these guys competed against the best in the best orgs and never got to choose their opponents like Fedor did.

Fedor is not that old gang, nor has he been one to suffer very serious injuries or major circumstantial career setbacks throughout his career like many of the other athletes listed above who excelled despite age, serious injuries, life circumstances and tearing their bodies apart with life long dedication to sports.
Back to top Go down
https://mmawarlike.forumotion.com
Brett

Brett

Be honest... is Fedor as good as you thought? Empty
PostSubject: Consider this as well..   Be honest... is Fedor as good as you thought? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 7:41 pm

I think the problem with Fedor was he has always been a small heavy-weight and at 205 I am looking forward to seeing more of what he was able to accomplish at heavy-weight in his earlier career....

He was also a hungry fighter back then...his skills as far as his technique are not the most of what one would call polished but he has natural ability....all of the point Kingie makes are certainly on point and must be considered.

His potential match-up with Hendo will be interesting in terms of its revelation and don't forget that Fedor is more or less owned by his country and it could be termed that whatever he has today in terms of lifestyle and comfort can just as easily be taken away by them if he were to rebel....
Back to top Go down
http://www.mmawarlike.com

Be honest... is Fedor as good as you thought?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MMA Warlike :: MMA Q and A-
Jump to: